Tuesday, 5 February 2013

5 February 2013

Well, it seems that my initial plan of blogging each morning is not going so well.  There have been mornings where the children have things on - and it is the beginning of the year and we are all getting into our routines.  it is now 8pm on Tuesday 5 February; where, as I am writing this, the teenagers are completing their homework.  Maths, Humanities, Science, English, Music, Art and Religion.  Wonderful subjects and diaries full of homework for each class.  This is a great way to end any day.

Maths is one of Morgan's strong subjects - and I guess there are days when homework does not feel like being done.  There are many new things being learned; surds, square root symbols around numbers and other foreign mathematical "sentences"... I am pretty good at reading textbooks and thank you to the Textbook writers for making it really easy for Mum's to point out to their children how to complete mathematical problems.

What has happened in school?  I am not sure as Morgan rarely debriefs his day - he did mention that he did not know his friend's first name - and when asked today he did tell me.  That made me smile.  He either observed the friendship group or asked the question - this I will never know.

The morning rituals that occur each morning in the house consist of Morgan having breakfast, Morgan getting ready for school, Morgan helping his little sister to the car (there is a steep driveway to walk down, stuff to put into the car, rubbish to put into the bins and a car to pack), dropping off little sister to kindy and then commuting with step-dad to school.  Last week, I did take him one day - way too early and so uncool... until Morgan found that almost half the school is being dropped off early - there was a commute to the drop-off area!

The best part about the week just passed is that we all packed a bag and went to an Ecolodge for a night - OK - there was a party that I attended up the coast; and I thought it would be a wonderful way to get out of the house, get back to nature, see some friends and enjoy each other's company without a screen or noise.  I wish we had two nights there.  Seeing friends and being back "home" was a great feeling and one that all of us will be happy to revisit another day.  It was also a great way to unwind the busy week and debrief on how we are feeling in adapting to the new life we are embarking.  It was nice to see Matilda interact with us all, walk around the orchard and show her pretty flowers and fruits on the trees; and watch her chase the birds.  Having a run around on grass was great too.  Morgan stayed at a friend's place overnight; nice to see some reward for the hard work moving, packing and unpacking, working with the family and adjusting to a new school.

Morgan has his first music lesson this week; his first rugby try-outs, created friendship bonds that will be there for life and attended his first Mass/Liturgy/House celebration; the blessing of new student badges.  Last Tuesday night, the question "What is the Mary Prayer Mum - all the boys are saying it and I have no idea?" question and statement was a little embarrassing to hear.  Being an educator in the Catholic school system provided me with the knowledge that most school's publish their prayers in the school diary - and yes, the "Hail Mary" was there - Morgan has a great memory and a few night readings; he will be praying with the rest of them!  Four years ago the sacraments of Reconciliation, Eucharist and Confirmation were received; and I am slightly guilty of not pursuing the prayerful time that we were practicing those many years ago.

1440 minutes per day for 8 days = 11,520 minutes have passed.  Many lessons have been learned; opportunity seeds planted and rest received.  Some of these moments are highlighted below:


best moment:  Morgan playing guitar almost every night - he is getting really good.
song of the day: WilliAm and Brittany - "In the Club" or something like that (Morgan's sister and I sang it while driving in the car coming home today)
aha moment:  A good time can be had in the country with friends, family and food
teaching time:  Mum ... how do I do this Maths problem - well the textbook will always provide a guide (Thank you!)

2,057,760 - 11,520 = 2,046,240.



No comments:

Post a Comment