I can say, however, that I am investing in guiding the children with their studies. We have had a pretty busy month settling into learning environments (all of us) - Baby in Kindy, sister commencing Year 8, father figure into University as a tutor and student, mother in middle management in High School and yes, Morgan into his environment. There are ups and downs, use of technology to get us through, communication gaps and links, times when the weather has tested our patience. Overall, though - a fabulous month.
We are into week 6 of Term One; a very busy time for the middle school year children at home - assignments to prepare, tests to study for. Watching Television is now a luxury during the week that one cannot afford. Time is invested (sometimes wisely) on ensuring that all homework and study is completed so that assignment work can commence. Morgan is progressing through nicely - "Mum, I just handed in my Science Assignment but.... now I have a Maths one." What do you say? "Welcome to the world of being a student - it is going to be like this for the next ten or so years of your life!"
Music has been a focal point and an escape. A new instrument purchase this month (a Ukulele - an electric acoustic of course) with birthday monies. Taking it into school and recording has been a challenge (especially with guitar, PE gear, laptop, school bag and packed lunch all on one day sometimes). Remember the times when in primary school we would say, leave the ... at home. Try saying that to a teenager who has "so much on" and your head is bitten off.
Anyway, the ukulele is a wonderful instrument and produces a wonderful sound. I am so proud that Morgan has invested a lot of time practicing his guitar playing technique; and I am so proud of myself not to bring into the house computer games that would have robbed him of this time.
Everything is a choice - yesterday was a trigger for me to blog. It was the first time Morgan experienced a Retreat time at his school. The boys were bussed out to the local mountain and engaged with each other in survival activities. He soon learned who was lazy and that he was able to speak up and give direction, guidance (he helped cook the lunch by starting the fire etc). He also learned that many young men his age take credit where it is not due; and that life for some has been a smooth road. He also learned that if he did not speak up, no-one would listen. Hard lessons, but meaningful - which is why the school does what it does.
A few weeks ago the friends he had made were not very nice (maybe I blogged previously about this). I have been thinking about how to bring more life into Business classes at school. I came across the book in my bookshelf at home "Who moved my Cheese?" and decided to read it to my baby out loud - hoping the teenagers would hear ... and they did. Oh my - you could have knocked me over with a feather when Morgan came home on Tuesday and said "Mum - I found new cheese ... in the music department. I have been invited to join a band!" Three of his classmates from various classes have musical talent and invest their lunch times in the music rooms jamming. Wonderful!!!
Who Moved My Cheese - fabulous book for young and old. I have purchased a copy for our school library.
This month has been a time where music has filled the car stereo. "Impossible" is the favourite hit of the month - and one that we constantly hear been sung by the teenagers in the house. Nice words, great message and the artist who is promoting it at the moment - fabulous story.
1440 minutes per day for 31 days = 44,640 minutes have passed. Many lessons have been learned; opportunity seeds planted and rest received. Some of these moments are highlighted below:
best moment: Morgan's ukulele purchase and how proud he was when he came home and showed the family.
song of the day: Impossible (sung by the teenagers in the house - in an out of tune; and in the car whenever it is on) - and "Wonky Donkey" (we often hear that on the ukulele; a great toddler tune)
aha moment: Mum..... I'm in a Band! (New Cheese moment)
teaching time: Showing the teenagers how to use OneNote to work with assignments, research and study. A great program that places everything into one space and place on their laptops. (My Masters in Education (ICT) is coming in handy at home, too.
aha moment: Mum..... I'm in a Band! (New Cheese moment)
teaching time: Showing the teenagers how to use OneNote to work with assignments, research and study. A great program that places everything into one space and place on their laptops. (My Masters in Education (ICT) is coming in handy at home, too.
2,046,240 - 44,640 = 2,001,600.
No comments:
Post a Comment