Monday, 14 January 2013

15 January 2013

Another day or two over and the school year is drawing near.  These past two days were like chalk and cheese in regards to the weather - yesterday (14 January) was the first day we didn't melt and we opened windows and doors to let the breeze in.  Wonderful!

Morgan, I should mention is also a Diabetic Type 1 - he was diagnosed on January 14, 2009 at the age of nine (going into his tenth birthday).  We have come a long way since that day and his health management team has had a change.  While in Regional Queensland, we worked with the private system - an approach that was recommended by the chosen local GP at the time.  The ladies were wonderful; and the educator is a friend of mine on Facebook, speed-dial on mobile and yes, I think I will add her to my Christmas Card list.  Wonderful lady and more importantly; Morgan liked her and listened.  Asked the right questions and followed her advice.  I am hoping with the change he will continue to do this.  

Anyway, yesterday was a visit to the new GP (we are choosing the same surgery that we were patients of before we left the city).  She was happy to see us again while we all down a trip to memory lane of when the children were babies.  How time flies!  She told Morgan stories about students who love the new school he will be attending and the culture of its inclusiveness and school tie connectivity.

It was also wonderful to hear that there will be connections at the public system that we have been recommended (by Morgan's health team in Regional Queensland).  Our doctor's husband is a part of the research team at the hospital; and she seems to be a receiver of his work - telling us about new research and ways to work with Diabetes.  She also informed Morgan that these are the formative years and his management now will be instilled in him for the rest of his life.  

We have had a great start - no chocolate, soft-drink or lollies in the house and if he craves them; we pay full retail price.  I have instilled this so that the children know the expense and that it is a luxury, a sometimes treat and not something that will be readily available.  I have also, in the past, educated them on the business cycle of chocolate and sugar; with the farmer or primary producer not seeing the return deserved and how hard both raw materials are to grow.  You Tube now is a fabulous teaching tool in this way but when they were little, I invested in pay TV (we did not go out to many movies, nor did we borrow DVD's - we didn't even have a player).  That way the children were entertained, educated and I could enjoy some shows too.  Ten years ago, Disney Channel had no retail advertisements (only their own products) - now there is an abundance of advertising even on this channel; or Disney has diversified in its product range.

Paperwork from the Doctor was received (it is a mine field out there) and connections made.  Morgan has his check-up with all the health team next week and I just wanted to be assured that this was all covered.  Next time, Morgan will be doing this on his own.  I am going to take him, sit outside and wait in the waiting room.  We chatted about this on the way home, after he made the comment (I did not have to be there).  Well, he will be the only one there in the future.  I guess I did dominate the conversation and I apologised. 

Morgan receives pump therapy - he commenced this in June last year after he emailed his Doctor with the positives and negatives of being on needles and how being on pump therapy will improve his health and his capacity to enjoy life.  She listened and at the next appointment arranged for pump therapy.  It has been the best thing for him.  The first week of being on the pump I can still remember Morgan saying "Mum, I have not felt this good in years."  

Yesterday we received a call from the pump manufacturer offering a new testing machine. We happily accepted their offer and will use it as a machine on stand-by.  The consumables are a little fiddly for a teenage boy at school (and at home and anywhere) and cost wise could be more expensive than what we are doing.

So the last day was about health.  The children are off to their Dad's this morning until Sunday 21 January - a little under six days (8640 minutes).  This will be the last time in a big batch of time before school starts.  They should have a nice time.

best moment:  coming home from a morning's work seeing Morgan and his sister playing Monopoly
song of the day:  I got the Money Money Money ....
aha moment:  Morgan can learn to manage his own health (go into Doctor's on his own from June).
teaching time:  Time management - time does tick away if you are not watching, and prepared.

2,080,800 - 2,880 = 2,077,920.

No comments:

Post a Comment